Registration FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. What is Teen Advisors/Velocity?
- Teen Advisors/Velocity is a program that helps students live with integrity and serve as positive role models for their peers. All the students sign a contract to be drug and alcohol free and sexually abstinent for the next year. There is an in-school and an out-of-school component. At each school with a TA/Velocity program, the upper-classmen go into classrooms of lower-classmen and present lessons on topics like peer pressure, stress, relationships, drugs/alcohol, family, etc. They talk to the younger students about their own experiences and encourage them to make positive choices. Out of school, TAs/Velocity hosts FUN events and activities for TA/Velocity students across the city where they can have fun without being confronted with drugs or alcohol.
2. What is Elevate?
- Elevate is our new program for ninth graders. Just like TAs and Velocity, Elevate students sign a contract to be drug and alcohol free and sexually abstinent for the next year. They will be able to help with Velocity events, attend fun events with other Elevate students, attend some Teen Advisors events, and present sessions to fifth graders about things like bullying or what they can expect in middle school.
3. Is TAs/Velocity/Elevate faith-based?
- The principles of the programs are based on Judeo-Christian values and principles. Students are not required to be Christians and any event with a Christian focus is optional. Learn more about our values HERE.
4. What if I can’t attend the training event for my age-level program? Can I still join?
- Attending a training event is mandatory to join any program (that means VDay for Velocity, Launch for Elevate, and Fall Retreat or Workshop for Teen Advisors). We want each student to have a full understanding of the commitment they’re making and have a chance to form relationships with other students, that’s why we can’t allow a student to join without attending one of our scheduled trainings. There are multiple training options for each program throughout the year; you can find the specific dates on the program’s page. If none of our training dates are possible for your family, please call our office and ask to speak to the relevant program director.
5. What does the registration fee pay for?
- Your registration fee is an activities fee that pays for your program’s training event, a t-shirt, supplies for Classroom Sessions, and the fun events throughout the year. There are no other mandatory costs.
6. Do I have to pay the registration fee when I register?
- In order to register online, you'll have to make a payment. If you would like to pay by check or cash, you can mail your registration form and payment to Teen Advisors at PO Box 5305, Columbus, GA 31906 or bring it to our office at 1316 Wildwood Ave.
7. Can I get a scholarship?
- You can apply for a scholarship HERE.
- Submit your scholarship form and once we've reviewed your application, you'll receive a discount code that you can use to then register your student(s) online
- Scholarships are given based on need. Everyone is asked to pay at least $10 unless there are extreme circumstances that make that impossible.
- Scholarship payments have the same deadlines as regular payments.
- GS can apply for scholarships in the same way. Just write “Grad Staff” where is asks for your grade.
8. Do I have to fill out a registration form if I was in Teen Advisors/Elevate/Velocity last year?
- Yes. We need a new registration form every year that you join one of our programs.